Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Politics

POLITICS
As a young child I remember my parents voting, though I don't recall them discussing politics. In my early years I developed an interest in politics. I recall being glued to the radio nearly all night listening to the national political conventions back in 1948 and 1952 when the conventions were unscripted and meaningful. Since reaching voting age, I've never passed up the opportunity to vote. In the fifties I was deeply disappointed in 1966 when Claude Kirk defeated my strong choice for governor, Robert King High. I had great respect for Florida Governors LeRoy Collins (in the fifties) and Rubin Askew (in the seventies).
It remains a mystery to me from whence came my liberal bent. The community where I grew up was quite conservative, especially back in my early years. As far back as I can remember, and that goes back to elementary school, I've tended to identify with what I think of as progressive politics. Influence must have come from my parents without my being aware of it.
I've been a champion of civil rights, government activism, internationalism, universal healthcare, abortion rights, campaign finance reform, penal reforms, gun control and reducing military spending. Yes, I truly am one of those bleeding heart liberals. My involvement with causes, though intense, has generally been internal and emotional rather than outwardly evident.
I've become somewhat disillusioned with politics. The electorate, rather than rewarding candidates of the greatest ability, integrity and honesty, demands commitment to the narrow interests of the many single-issue factions. This leads to elected officials whose greatest concern is for reelection rather than the greater good. Political success is synonymous with the compromise of integrity and the devotion to self-interest.
I abhor the contentiousness, and meanness resulting from the new partisanship.
My favorite presidents were Jimmy Carter, John Kennedy, Bill Clinton, and Franklin Roosevelt who was president during the first eight years of my life.
My least favorites were Ronald Reagan, George Bush--the lesser, and Richard Nixon for whom I regret voting in 1962.
I trust my friends of conservative persuasion will regard me as well intentioned and merely ill-informed as I do them.

No comments: