Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Poems


In the late seventies and early eighties I made some attempts at writing poetry--never seriously--but just to see if I could.
Most writings seem to have been lost. Here are the only two I could find. They are undated and untitled.

Night recedes and the mist clears on Fisheating Creek this winter morning.
The still-sleeping cypress, moss-draped, are standing rank upon rank in bleak silence.
Beyond, with their canopies reaching a hundred feet, are the great oaks inviting the lodging of orchids and airplants.
The lingering vapors above the coffee-brown water seem mysterious incense in this sanctuary of nature.
The cattle, restless the night long, are now still.
Rings from a turtle's splash bobble the green film on a half-dried pond.
Now begins the raucous cawing of crows and the inevitable chopping of wood.
Soon the sun will call out the darting dragonflies and the splashing invaders calling for football and Frisbee.
___________________________________________
I saw you in your time of glory triumphantly spreading you grand umbrella.
I marveled that the tight wire mesh of grass could neither hold you down nor cut your tender flesh.
You stood above all grass showing the world you came from nothing to be the most noticed on the lawn.
Your friend the rain has made it so.
But sun as well has come today, stolen beauty and left you withered and dry.
And spores by millions you have borne.
Do I see you in your time of triumph now?
Could sun as well be friend of yours?
Tomorrow’s rain will bring the proof.

During those years I began to memorize poems--again just to see if could. I didn’t find it easy; but found I could do it and derived some satisfaction from that.
I have memorized approximately three dozen poems, speeches, and patter, some longer than five minutes.

No comments: