Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Tony Bennett

Tony Bennett, last night, enjoyed an enthusiastic reception to a sold out Kravis Center. Even though I've never been a Bennett fan, I was hoping to enjoy the performance. His daughter, Antonia, who opened the show, is a painfully poor singer. With training and experience, she may become a popular entertainer but I doubt it. Tony has a loyal following but, sadly, in my opinion, because he as lost so much vocal control and therefore has to make so many musical compromises, it is time to give it up.
I'm reminded of other performances I've attended that should have never happened -- Frank Sinatra when he was last here -- really bad, and Roger Whittaker, of whom I was a fan -- a disappointment, and then, years ago, the Spanish classical guitarist, Andrés Segovia -- a disappointment. They all needed to know when to quit.

No comments: