Tuesday, December 14, 2010

True Grit - With Style

Last night we stumbled into this movie with intentions for another (long story). Not having seen the original True Grit, I can't compare it with this new one but I knew right away at the opening it was something special. It seemed that most others at the viewing didn't like it, but when in the closing credits I discovered the Coen brothers directed, it confirmed why I found it so appealing. I was charmed by the quirky classiness of the formal language. (Did this period precede the development of contractions?) The story was less important to me than the style of its presentation. The scenery was grand. The music throughout was variations of the hymn "Leaning On The Everlasting Arms."
I recommend this movie to Coen brothers fans.
more film score

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mary and I saw True Grit together in Duluth.....we loved it!!!! Jeff Bridges deserves an Oscar and I loved the way the Coen Brothers preserved the dialogue of the book.