Saturday, April 13, 2013

MUSINGS ON LINE 7

From the age of 17 on, I've completed line 7 of the IRS form 1040 beginning at a tiny amount, increasing only modestly through the years, then declining to miniscule with my final line 7 entry in 1999. I hope it might be instructive, if not interesting, to others how I, in those 45 years and beyond, managed to avoid money worries and the stress associated with debt. I have chosen to live below my means and defer the gratification of acquiring things. My only two departures from this were in 1957 when I borrowed for my first new car and in 1967 borrowing again to build my home. I have never had any other debts, never budgeted, and always avoided any insurance I could. I've bought many new cars -- always for cash and I always fully paid credit card bills every month. I chose to retire at age 45 and never regretted it. I recommend this to anyone wishing to avoid money-worries.  To the many who suffer the anxiety of always being on the edge of insolvency, I say, buy only what you require and enjoy the peace and comfort that comes with surplus cash. Another tip: If possible, defer taking your social security pension as long as possible. It is the best saving plan available these days. And finally: With having developed frugality skills, the challenge at my age, is turning assets into income and getting over the aversion to spending.

No comments: