Monday, April 14, 2014

Fear Of My Autumn Years

There's been a major shift in my feelings. For most of my life I've felt hopeful about the future, but lately, I've been feeling depressed. I thought it might be related to my recent stubbornly lingering cold. But now, with my physical health restored, I've been dwelling more on my thoughts of a grim future. I'm sensing diminishing cognitive abilities as well as a decline of vigor. When I look at old family photos, I feel sad because, with the recent passing of my sister, my family is all gone and I have no one to share or ask about those old memories. I have no friends with which to share my feelings because I've failed to cultivate close friendships. I think about my near future when I'll be unable to drive or manage my affairs or have anyone with whom to share my interests. I'm beginning to understand that ultimately all that exists is only temporary so nothing really matters.

No comments: